This page has moved to a new address.

Life Lessons

Monday 30 April 2012

Life Lessons


During one of my many inpatient stays in 2007 one of the nurses sat me down to share with me his Life Lessons.  I am so glad that he wrote them down as there was no way that I was in the right frame of mind to take it on board.  Times like this I’m also glad I am a bit of a hoarder so I still have the book it is written in.

I was in a pretty bad place and I didn’t care about myself or anyone around me. I just wanted out and I wanted out now.  This compassionate nurse was one of many who tried to reach me and I will be forever grateful.

Lesson 1
All humans have a fundamental goal to be happy.  I can be happy.  

Lesson 2
I can recognise that the people in my life also have a goal to be happy.  Therefore we must be flexible, negotiate, compromise, collaborate and cooperate.  We all deserve to have life = win/win not lose/lose or win/lose.

Lesson 3 
I must not carry baggage from my past.  It is not hat happened to me that counts just my reaction that matters.

Lesson 4 
Keep life simple. Do not complicate life by overloading, creating conflict and trying to meet the expectations of others.  

Lesson 5
Be like the water not the rock.
Be flexible, tolerant and accept change.
I be enlightened (know the truth) closes your mind to all other possibilities.
Nothing is certain
Nothing is forever
No one has all the answers.

I still struggle daily with lesson 3 and 5.  I have a horribly good memory for all things negative.  They eat away at me every second of the day.  

One rule that he didn’t write down but I still remember is to removed the word ‘should’ from your vocabulary.  The word ‘should’ promotes guilt and a feeling of negative self worth.  

Do you have any life lessons? What’s one rule you have for yourself that you will never compromise on?

Labels: , , , , ,

2 Comments:

At 1 May 2012 at 06:27 , Anonymous Jo Palmes said...

My life lesson so far? Don't punish myself over my mistakes or failings, or let myself get weighed down by them. But instead learn from them and push on. 

 
At 17 July 2012 at 21:57 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

so cliche and boring of me but 'everything happens for a reason'. Everything in my life has fallen into place even when it felt like it was falling apart. for each crappy thing that has happened something good has come from it in the end and those good things have been lifechanging.

 

Post a Comment

I love getting your feedback so please show some comment love

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home