This page has moved to a new address.

Epidemic

Tuesday 30 October 2012

Epidemic

*The following post may be triggering to those who are struggling with self harm thoughts. Please make sure you are feeling safe before reading.*
If you or someone you know is contemplating hurting themselves please get in contact with a GP, go to your closes ED or give the wonderful people at Lifeline a call.

On 60 minutes on Sunday, they did a story on Self Harm. I will admit that I was apprehensive about it and didn't actually watch it until it was available online. After I knew that other people had watched it.  After I knew whether they had portrayed it in an understanding light.  I just knew that I wasn't in the right frame of mind to deal with it, if it was anything else.
 
I've made no secret of the fact that I have self harmed in the past.  It is something that I deal with on a constant basis. It is something that I will probably deal with for the rest of my life.  Was it easy to stop? No. Not at all.
 
Self harm has been toted as 'attention seeking' among other derogatory things.  Things like that do nothing for the shame and guilt that someone who self harms or has self harmed feels.  The worst comments I have received have actually been from 'professionals'. The pearlers have been when presenting to the local Emergency Departmet with injuries that needed medical attention ranging from 'so', 'you know you're doing it the wrong way' to when presenting with self harm thoughts and not actions 'just come back when you've done it'.  Emergency Departments are the first port of call for mental health patients and really need to be trained in ways to deal with these patients. Psychiatrist Professor Graham Martin talks about it during his interview.
 
"I hear of therapists running away. I hear of people in hospital running away. Nursing staff who can’t face up to somebody who has cut themselves deliberately. Because they’re not important, and they did it to themselves, and they’re just attention seeking. I don’t believe any of that. I think when somebody goes to these lengths, they need help."
 
One of the most common questions asked of someone who self harms I think is "What made you think to pick up something to hurt yourself with".  There is no one moment when you think oh yep this is what I am going to do. It is something done out of desperation, of feeling like there is nothing else that will work.  When I started I never in my wildest dreams thought that I would still be struggling with urges 10 years later.  That 10 years later, whenever things get shit, it is my first port of call.  One of the girls interviewed for the story I think sums it up perfectly.
 
" I don’t remember why I chose self-harm. The chaos and the feelings that were all trapped inside my head got to a point where I needed something."
 
I was quite impressed with the way that the story was portrayed in such a sensitive way.  It didn't poke fun or minimise the behaviour in anyway. I just hope that this story was able to reach a few people, to help them understand.

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,

7 Comments:

At 30 October 2012 at 13:45 , Blogger EssentiallyJess said...

I didn't see the documentary some can't comment on that. I've never self harmed, but at the height of my depression there were moments when I did wonder if cutting myself would actually allow me to feel something, even of it hurt. I never actually did it, but I guess, in a teeny way I can understand why someone would.

I hate the stigma that surrounds any kind of mental illness. I don't think people realise that no one wants to hurt themselves, it's just that seem to have run out of any other options, and obviously need some help.

I think you're doing incredibly well to be able to openly admit this, and battle it constantly. That takes a huge amount of strength. Xxx

 
At 30 October 2012 at 15:27 , Blogger Tegan Churchill said...

If you click on the words 60 minutes story it will take you to the video :)

 
At 3 November 2012 at 09:40 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 3 November 2012 at 09:41 , Anonymous Alison said...

I don't self harm but have other mental health issues. Anyone who is deliberately ignorant enough to believe it is simply attention seeking, or to attack someone who is struggling with this, the best we can do is ban, block and ignore them. Not all opinions are created equal, sick of the internet giving morons a chance to reach real people.

I reckon anyway (aside from the terminally fucking stupid and ill educated, the sort of people who think Big Brother is classic TV) anyone else who attacks a person with mental health issues has many deep issues of their own that they are simply too cowardly to face, just as latent homosexuals become homophobes, people with deep seated mental health issues they are terrified of often become mentalhealthophobes.

 
At 28 November 2012 at 13:38 , Blogger tahlia @ the parenting files said...

working with many people that self harm I know the inner pain and struggle that people go through. I hear people tell me all the time, they don't see another choice. I guess my role is to try and help people work through their pain, struggles and sadness and hopefully reach a point where they dont feel the need to hurt themselves anymore.

It is a journey, a challenge, xx

 
At 28 November 2012 at 16:54 , Blogger Crash Test Mummy said...

I'm saddened by the responses you've had in the past, from professionals no less. I'm glad the 60 minutes piece was sensitive. Education is important to remove the stigma and get people the help they need.

 
At 6 February 2013 at 20:02 , Blogger Me said...

Thank you for this post Tegan. It has given me a little more insight into how someone who self harms feels. K used to self harm - she says that she has stopped but I do worry about it when I see that she is feeling down. Sending heaps of love, hugs and positive energy your way !
Thank you for stopping by my blog as well - lovely to have you over !
Have the best day !
Me

 

Post a Comment

I love getting your feedback so please show some comment love

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home