This page has moved to a new address.

Trashy Tv is good for you!

Tuesday 29 January 2013

Trashy Tv is good for you!

I've made it no secret that I enjoy a bit of trashy television.  With posts about vjazzling and lingerie football, I really couldn't hide the fact.  Everyone's definition of trasy tv is a little bit different. Some people think Neighbours is trashy tv, these people *cough cough* Devil Papa *cough cough* are also glad that looks can't kill.
 
To me trashy tv is something you can watch, without really watching.  You know you 'shouldn't' but after a shitty day, you just need to relax, unwind and not have to think for another minute.  Enter trashy tv. I'm talking about the Jersey Shores and Snog, Marry, Avoid of the television world.  Something that you can watch from any point and not have to really know a 'back' story.  They also kind of make you feel a little more smart.
 
I very rarely watch the news.  It's too sad for me and I prefer to filter the news myself. Thirty minutes of nothing but despair, is not my idea of fun. Nor is it a good way to increase my Mental Health. People may think that it is kind of head in the sand approach, but I don't care. Sometimes we need to do things to protect ourselves.  Instead of the news I watch The Simpsons. It makes me laugh and it entertains Devil Spawn, it's really a gift that keeps on giving.
 
Watching trashy tv really has an indulgent factor to it. All day we are bombarded with images and messages that we 'need' to do things to better ourselves, things that use our brain.  Some days though, we just need to switch off. We need down time to let our brain recoup, especially after a long day of kid or career wrangling.  I like to set myself up with my laptop, after Devil Spawn has (finally!) gone to sleep and lose myself in good old no brain needed television. 
 
I also love a bit of crime shows that make me think.  It's all about balance and realising when you need timeout.  Our brains can't cope with constantly being switched on, it needs down time too. We start to feel physical effects after prolonged periods of adrenaline...if something as simple as watching half naked Brits with no fashion sense can help, then who is anyone to begrudge you that indulgence.
 

 Linking up with Jess for #IBOT
 
Do you like a bit of Trashy Tv? What do you do to give your brain a bit of down time?

Labels: , , , ,

15 Comments:

At 29 January 2013 at 09:18 , Anonymous Lisa@RandomActsOfZen said...

Sometimes a good dose of trashy TV is just what I need too!

 
At 29 January 2013 at 09:33 , Blogger ann said...

I love trashy tv!! The trashier the better for me. Sadly there is not enough trash on these days!!

 
At 29 January 2013 at 09:42 , Blogger Anorina @SameliasMum said...

Yep, I love trashy tv.
Toddlers and Tiara's, Hoarders and most things on the E channel.

 
At 29 January 2013 at 10:15 , Anonymous Aroha @ Colours of Sunset said...

Nope, cant do trashy TV. We don't have pay TV so that helps as there's far less trash on free-to-air. But we do have way too many shows we watch on a weekly basis after they air in the US. Greys Anatomy, How I Met Your Mother, Big Bang Theory, New Girl, and several others. I don't want to know how many hours a week I waste on TV! -Aroha #teamIBOT

 
At 29 January 2013 at 10:21 , Blogger Unknown said...

Haha this is funny Tegan because I just happened to post about banishing my TV this week! I really do enjoy trashy TV lol. When it comes to my pick for movies, I stay away from serious stuff too and just enjoy a laugh or two. My situation is a bit different now though so I have decided to retire my TV to help me refocus on other things because I have been too dependent on it :)

 
At 29 January 2013 at 12:01 , Blogger Catherine Rodie said...

I don't watch much trashy tv (unless you count Peppa Pig which always seems to be on in our house), but I totally get what you're saying about switching off!

 
At 29 January 2013 at 15:46 , Blogger Jacana said...

I have teenagers - so trashy TV happens in my home as well. I try to turn off from the noise or shut a door.

 
At 29 January 2013 at 17:36 , Blogger Lydia C. Lee said...

Pretty much all tv is trashy at the moment. I have a different thing - when partner goes out and I'm home alone I watch either (a) chick flick, which I invariably hate and wonder why I keep watching them (b) martial arts movie - which I love and wonder what's wrong with my partner for not getting into them (c) comedy series like The Office which makes me laugh but again, partner hates...

 
At 29 January 2013 at 18:36 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love Revenge, Fringe, Dexter, and Downton Abbey - but then again I do love the news, not the commercial 7,9 etc crap but SBS and ABC, it makes me realise that I have so much to be grateful for! Right gotta go and watch the latest Ep of Revenge :)

 
At 29 January 2013 at 19:50 , Anonymous Mumabulous said...

I can't go past Dr Phil for mental junk food. I know I shouldn't watch it but its somehow compelling.

 
At 30 January 2013 at 03:37 , Anonymous robomum said...

I don't have Foxtel because I think my life would stop. Love trash tv. Love. Especially stuff where people argue, like the talk shows, Shores etc. I know I've had a good day off if I've shared it with Dr Phil.

 
At 30 January 2013 at 16:35 , Blogger Kylie Purtell said...

I must admit I don't mind a bit of trashy tv. I think my latest show is now MKR. I've never watched it before, and I seriously wonder are there actually weirdo's like that in the world so its now my new trash-time show.

 
At 31 January 2013 at 13:44 , Blogger Grace said...

I love my American sitcoms. The Big Bang Theory, How I Met Your Mother...but I do need to keep a time restriction otherwise I just find myself in front of the box for hours! Just nice to have a bit of escapism now and then, isn't it?

 
At 31 January 2013 at 14:04 , Blogger Tegan Churchill said...

The young best friends really peeve me, anxious to see how they go when it's their turn to cook!

 
At 31 January 2013 at 14:05 , Blogger Tegan Churchill said...

It certainly is. There is definitely worse things we could be doing than watching a bit of trashy tv.

 

Post a Comment

I love getting your feedback so please show some comment love

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home