This page has moved to a new address.

Are you ready?

Wednesday 9 January 2013

Are you ready?

Recently a friend asked me when was the right time to have a baby, thinking that I must know because I already have a child.  At the time I offered the stock standard, you are never ready answer.  I have been thinking about it a bit more lately.  There's more to it than that.
 
It's true, you are never ready. There are so many things that all of the baby books and experts in the world couldn't prepare you for. Your baby. It doesn't matter if this is your first baby or your 10th. No baby is the same. Hell, what worked an hour ago might not work now. 
 
You will never have enough money. You will never have the right job. Your partner will never be in the right position. Children are unpredictable. Just when you think you have it all figured out, a curve ball comes from the left field.  You'll make it work though. You have to.
 
You will never have all the answers. No amount of reading, attending information nights or antenatal classes will prepare you for the amazing, humbling experience of bringing a child into the world.  Sure it's better than going in blind, just don't feel you know it all. There is always room to improve, things that your little human beings will teach you.
 
There are so many things that I wasn't prepared for. The loss of sleep. You don't know sleep deprivation until you have a child. There is no taking a day off. They have endless amounts of energy, while you have none. It is amazing the things that you somehow manage to complete while running on about 4 hours of broken sleep. All dignity goes when you have a child. Be prepared to have a running commentary of your life. Guess what, talking about toilet habits in public no longer phases me. I have no qualms walking through Big W and telling Devil Spawn that we need to go because mummy needs to do a wee.
 
Even though you will never be ready 'enough', you make it work. You work with what you have. Sometimes it is not much at all, it's always enough. A child isn't going to remember the things you bought them, the money you spent. They are going to remember the times you smiled, the times you encouraged and loved.  They won't remember you not having all of the answers, they'll remember you making the best with what you have.
 
Do you think there is ever a perfect time to have a child?

Labels: , ,

7 Comments:

At 9 January 2013 at 21:18 , Blogger Catherine Rodie said...

Totally agree, especially with regards sleep deprecation and dignity (G opening the toilet door and bolting whilst I was mid wee saw off the last of mine). Xx

 
At 10 January 2013 at 12:45 , Blogger Francesca said...

So true. Beautiful post :-)

 
At 10 January 2013 at 16:29 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Totally true Tegan. X

 
At 10 January 2013 at 17:46 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mine are 15 and 12 and I am still clueless. And they are still embarrassing me, but the difference is I get to embarrass them too now :) Somehow or other they are turning out to be great kids. Like you say you just do the best you can. Love love and more love makes up for a thousand mistakes :)

 
At 10 January 2013 at 22:04 , Blogger Unknown said...

I had children at 18 and at 30 - didn't help either way. Although I do think I had more energy at 18. But I wouldn't change having them in our life at all!

Thanks for linking up today,

Annaleis - Blogs and PR Team Member

 
At 10 January 2013 at 22:17 , Blogger ~Danielle~ said...

I had my eldest at 24 and my second at 30.. whilst I had more energy the first time round I still feel perfectly happy with my choices at delaying my second born. I feel as though I should probably have my third sometime in the next few years before running around after a toddler seems laughable but im sure there never really is a 'right time' it just fits :)

 
At 13 January 2013 at 14:02 , Blogger Mrs Woog said...

So true! X

 

Post a Comment

I love getting your feedback so please show some comment love

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home